Crunch Time

We're late again I think. Ahh, this lack of MSN communication is really hurting my HAED progress, not to mention my general sanity at work. Having a non-work friend to chit chat with through the working day is really important and therapeutic I think. So, with all that's going on these days, MSN could not pick the worst time to stop working between me and Sae.

Yes, as in the title of my post, I have hit the dreaded crunch time. Last year, when we started this competition, I had not done any overtime at work since the year before. So at that time, I had vague and distant memories of overtime. So it did not enter into my brain to consider how I would manage HAED and crunch time.

Well, this year, our project is almost due and I'm working back late every single night of the week. On good nights, I'm home by 10pm. Which sounds like ample time to HAED, except I'm so damn exhausted and drained that I really just want to lie here doing nothing but watching TV.

Last week, I finally got around to printing myself a new page because I could not bear anymore depressing single stitches. Progress is still slow but at least it feels like my picture is growing. Here's where I'm at:
Posted by Picasa

Another factor lending towards my slowness in HAED-ing is my new addiction to watching Japanese dramas. One of my colleagues brought in a whole heap and I've been just watching them non-stop. And its really hard to stitch while watching something while reading subtitles. The latest that I'm currently watching now is Gokusen. There are 3 seasons altogether and also a movie. I'm up to Season 2.


Gokusen is based on a manga of the same name. Its about Yamaguchi Kumiko who lands her dream job as a high school teacher. However, she gets assigned to be the homeroom teacher of a class filled with delinquents. All her students start out by hating her, cos she is a teacher but one by one, she wins their trust and respect. Mainly because she grew up in a yakuza household (her grandfather is the yakuza boss and she is the next heir) and so she can really kick ass.

Its filled with really OTT slapstick humour and some really stereotype themes. Also, most unbelievable yakuza family ever. Each episodes has the same kind of flow, one of her students gets into trouble, she tries to find out why, they push her away, she persists and on the way teaches them some valuable life lesson and at the end, she ends up protecting them and winning them over. Along the way, she's trying to keep the fact that she comes from a yakuza family a secret and also pick up the courage to pursue her love interest.

Actually I am not sure why I like watching this and there are some cringe-worthy moments. But its still very addictive to watch. I like some of the random stuff they throw in and overall, she is an interesting character. The show overdoes the introduction to her students as you think they'd be the most dangerous, psycho killer type students ever, but actually they're just sorta normal rebellious kids.

This isn't going to be a life-changing show, but its light, humorous and good for emptying my head after a long day of work.

Okay, I guess I should attempt to fulfill my daily quota now...

0 comments:

Prize Money Contributions

EeL's Contributions: AUD$471.63 (USD 415.69)

sAe's Contributions: RM$1681.51 (USD 494.56) (updated Apr)

Total Contributions: USD$816.12

(As of October 2009)

Competition Rules

Competition Begins: 1st May 2008
Competition Ends: Chinese New Year 2013

Goal: Complete a HAED design by the time allotted.

Designs chosen are to be of approximately the same sizes. Contestants are free to change their design half way, however it must also be of the similar size to the original design chosen.

Each month, each contestant will deposit USD$20 into a separate bank account.

Every fortnight, each contestant has to update this blog with updated progress pictures.

Prize Money:

If only one contestant completes her design by the deadline, she gets the total amount of money saved by both contestants.

If neither designs are complete, the entire sum of money is to be donated to a charity that is agreed upon by both contestants.

If both complete it on time, the money is divided in the following manner:

60% of the total goes to the contestant who completes* her design first within the deadline.

40% of the total goes to the contestant who completes* her design last within the deadline.

* For EeL, completion means full completion. For Sae, completion for the 60% winner total is 210,400 stitches, with the remainder stitches to be completed by the deadline.